martes, 3 de junio de 2008

Internet, finally!

Sorry for the long break.  Things have been crazy busy.  Too busy to fit in the internet cafe.  The good news is, of course, that today we had wireless internet installed in our beautiful orange house.  We are so cool and high tech.

It's so nice to have a couple minutes to sit down and relax.

Last week, after moving into the house, we had meetings with partner agency contacts in Managua, broke about a million Nicaraguan laws to set up our bank account, and prepared for the arrival of the supervisors on Saturday.

On Saturday morning, I went to go pick up the first batch of 3 supervisors at the Managua airport and took them back to Granada on public transportation with their huge amounts of luggage.  A pretty funny sight.

The other 3 supervisors arrived in the evening, and Cheka went to pick them up and take them home.

On Sunday and Monday, Cheka and I facilitated project supervisor briefing, a 2 day period where we catch them up to date on everything that we've been doing so far.  The sups have a really positive vibe going so far, and they all seem really excited about the summer.

Today, Tuesday, they left on town survey, that super scary period where they visit each community to tell everyone about the program, set up a host family, and arrange a food schedule for the volunteers.  I went with the 3 Granada supervisors to find their communities, introduce them to contacts in their communities that have not hosted volunteer previously, and send them off on their way.

The Ministry of Health gave us a ride, and I got a real cute sunburn on my shins from sitting in the back of the truck.

All of the communities we visited today were absolutely beautiful.  We're talking right on the shores of Lake Nicaragua, a lake so big that it looks like the ocean.  It's incredible.

I know the supervisors were really scared, but it's natural and they'll get over it.  It's a really scary thing to scamper off into the Nicaraguan campo by yourself, speaking only Spanish, and expecting to set up EVERYTHING for the volunteers.  They have to meet with the schools and set up times for the volunteers to teach, meet with contacts at the health centers and set up times for the volunteers to work, find youth counterparts to work with the volunteers, find out all kinds of information about the community (population, social resources, etc...), confirm emergency procedures.... The list goes on!  They spend a night in each community with the new host families, which means that they'll be back on Saturday.  Ahhh...  5 days of a quiet house.  Yes!

Anyway, the supervisors will be fine.  I had a big of a nervous breakdown the first day of my first time on survey, and it's normal.  I've done it twice now, both times I was a supervisor, and it turned out to be super fun and rewarding.  Sort of a special time to get to know the community before the volunteers arrived.  These supervisors definitely have shaky Spanish, which might affect their experience, but I know they'll get through.

In the mean time, Cheka and I will be enjoying the quiet house.  Tomorrow, it's off to Managua for some more meetings with national contacts at the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health.  Maybe even some bulk grocery shopping in the capital city.  Yeah, my life's pretty exciting these days.

I love you all.  Keep in touch with me!


2 comentarios:

KRS dijo...

Thank the LORD you got internet... I was starting to think I would NEVER hear from you!

Unknown dijo...

I bought my ticket last night! I was able to get on the same flight with you coming back. Exciting! I can't wait for my first trip to Latin America with you as my guide! Love, Mom